Objectives / Project Structure
The operation‘s main objective is the sustainable and harmonised advancement of the Baltic-Adriatic transport axis and its competitiveness, in the frame of Central Europe’s North – South connection.
More specifically, as accessibility is a precondition for economic development and growth, the objectives are
- To upgrade intermodal transport connections – particularly accelerating the implementation of high capacity railway connections along the axis
- To protect the environment via the reduction of negative transport related effects
- To secure employment via the strengthening of the economy.
Thus, most important issues of the project are
- The elaboration of a harmonised up-to-date transport related databases, in order to provide holistic decision making basis for the target groups involved
- The identification of transport related effects on the environment in order to initiate and accelerate necessary implementations based on created awareness on reduction potentials
- The identification of business potentials and stimulation of transnational cooperation between indirect beneficiaries along the axis in order to intensify the exchange of goods and services, develop new markets (including tourism), creating value & resulting in positive effects on employment
The secondary objectives of the Baltic-Adriatic Axis are the recommendations on improvement potentials for
- Accessibility focused on green transport
- The reduction of negative effects on the environment
- Transnational cooperation along the axis should lead to future coordinated investments and implementations achieving a higher interconnectivity at regional, national and transnational level
BATCo Project Structure
The Baltic-Adriatic Transport Cooperation is based on three thematic pillars and therefore foresees numerous activities and measures in regard to technical, environmental and economic aspects which are intrinsically tied to the development of the Baltic-Adriatic Axis.
Besides these three thematic Work Packages, two Work Packages are dedicated to Management and Coordination (Work Package 1) and Communication, Dissemination and Knowledge Management (Work Package 2)
Work Package 3: Transport System
Development and implementation of technical planning tools in regard to the transport system along the Baltic-Adriatic Axis, including the elaboration of a harmonised up-to-date transport related data-basis (e.g. axis-wide transport model, identification of green potentials, green transport decision support model) in order to provide a holistic decision making basis for target groups involved, aiming at the acceleration of investments in transport related infrastructure and services under the consideration of transnational aspects.
Work Package 4: Transport related Impacts on Environment
Identification of reduction potentials of negative effects on the environment (incl. axis-wide transport impact model, identification of environmental protection and safety potentials, decision support model) caused by passenger and freight transport along the Baltic-Adriatic Axis as well as the related costs in regard to Air Pollution (CO2, PM10, NOx, HC), Noise Pollution and Traffic Safety (accident rates, insurance rates etc.) in order to initiate and accelerate necessary implementations based on created awareness on reduction potentials.
Work Package 5: Economic / Logistics Development
Stimulation and development of economic activities by supporting end users (logistics centres, SMEs etc.) along the Baltic-Adriatic Axis.
In this regard BATCo will contribute to the economic development, by the:
- Strengthening of intermodal logistics solutions and business models to support their use by SMEs.
- Creation of transnational business cooperation nodes, which support local organisations in business networking across the larger corridor’s geographical area in the development of new services, experts and products.